Roof leaks are certainly one of the worst nightmares for homeowners. It can cause serious damage to multiple areas of your home such as the attic, or ceilings and walls. The water from the roof leak can cause mold to form in your home, which can make the homeowner and their family sick. The most common causes of roof leaks include:
- Broken or missing shingles, which can be caused by hail damage, high winds, or heavy rains.
- An old roof in need of replacing can cause roof leaks due to the fact that shingles weaken over time. The weakened shingles can be caused by time, hail, excessive moisture, wind storms, and exposure to sunlight.
- Improper installation on the homeowner’s roof may cause roof leaks. If flashing (strips of metal that seals roof transitions under shingles) is not installed properly, a leak could occur. A number of other problems could be caused by improper installation if an inexperienced, or dishonest contractor cutting corners installed the previous roof.
- Holes in your roof could cause serious leaks for the homeowner. If a tv antenna for instance was removed, and a hole was left, that could cause a leak in the roof. If a tree branch fell and formed a hole in a homeowner’s roof this could also cause a serious problem and leak for the homeowner.
- Clogged gutters can cause a roof to leak since water does not flow properly if gutters are clogged. Gutters are meant to help the flow of water, if the gutters are clogged and not performing this task it is possible for water to become stagnant and therefore soak through the roof.
Roof leaks can cause serious problems for homeowners’ and damage their roofs. You could have a leak in your roof and not notice it for a while. Some common signs of a possible roof leak are signs of mold running down the siding of the exterior of your home, water spots on the ceiling, and wet roof decking inside your attic. If you have a leak in your home or think you may have a leak, schedule a free drone inspection with Northpoint Roofing Systems today to see what damage there is on your roof. It is possible that your roof needs to be replaced and here at Northpoint we never cut corners and always do our due diligence when installing a new roof for our customers. Feel free to call 678-345-1711 to schedule your free drone inspection today!