The Pros of Skylights
If you are thinking about having a skylight installed, you need to make sure you are making an informed decision. The last thing you want is to be surprised by the ongoing maintenance and costs involved.
- Natural Light in a Darker Room– Skylights allow light into rooms that can’t otherwise get light.
- Aesthetically Pleasing – A skylight provides a beautiful window and can change the atmosphere of your room.
- Fresh Air – A venting skylight can provide fresh air to a room.This can help with cooling through ventilation in the summer. If you choose a venting skylight, you will want to opt for one you can easily reach
The Cons of Skylights
The cons of having a skylight installed are worth thinking about. Of course, if you are prepared for them and you know what to expect, it’s not a problem.
- Expense – Skylights are expensive – to install, to maintain, and they affect your energy bills. You can’t get around it. They could gradually create wear and tear on your roof due to skylights being prone to leaking.
- Potential Roof Leaks – This problem can be improved by choosing a high quality skylight. You’ll want to ensure that the skylight is also mounted above the surface of your roof.
You also want to make certain a curb is installed (a raised, watertight lip that deflects water away). There should also be proper flashing and the joints should be sealed. Waterproofing sheets should be installed over the flanges/flashing under the finish material.
- Potential Roof Damage – A large skylight could potentially damage your roof structurally. You will need to find out if you have a truss roof, these are a lot more difficult to modify. A standard roof framing can handle most kinds of skylights without a problem.
Above all, check with an experienced roofing company to find out what kinds of costs you are looking at when considering a skylight. Make sure they know what they are doing and that everything will be installed properly.
If you’re experiencing leaking you want to make sure you get a roof inspection. It’s important to always catch these things early on. Call us at 678-345-1711 for your free roof inspection today!