Do I need a new roof? This is a question many homeowners ask themselves. The roof is likely something that a homeowner does not think about too often, or want to think about, but the fact remains that the roof is one of the most important parts of any home, if not the most important. A homeowner may be unsure of what to look for when deciding whether or not a new roof is needed. Signs of a new roof being needed include:
- A homeowner’s home records. How long a roof has been on a home can help determine whether or not a homeowner needs a new roof. Roofs can begin to have considerable damage starting at 7 years on, depending on the weather and damage the roof has been subjected to. Many homeowners believe that if the shingle is quoted to last 25 years, such as architectural shingles, that they do not have to worry about their roof for 25 years. This is not the case. Hail storms can cause damage to a roof justifying a roof replacement as early as 7 years due to the decreasing integrity of the roof.
- If a roof is growing moss this could also be a sign the roof is in need of a replacement. Moss growing on a roof is a sign of moisture being collected on the roof, which can cause a compromise the roof’s shingles integrity and cause a great deal of damage.
- Hail damaged shingles are a sign a roof needs to be replaced. Hail damaged shingles will appear to have granule displacement, bruising in the shingles surface, or holes. These damaged shingles weaken the integrity of the roof and can cause many problems for the home such as leaking.
- Wind damage can also be a sign that a homeowner’s roof is in need of replacing. Signs of wind damage include missing or creased shingles. Missing and creased shingles weaken the integrity of a roof and could cause serious damage.
- If flashing around vents and chimneys is cracked or broken this could be a sign that a new roof is needed.
- If a roof is sagging this is a definite sign the roof is in need of replacing. Sagging can be caused by moisture or rotting boards.
There is always a chance that a homeowner’s roof is in need of replacing. Many homeowners likely though do not want to get up on the roof themselves and check for all the signs of possibly needing a new roof or are unsure of what exactly to look for visually when inspecting the roof.
Here at Northpoint Roofing Systems, we understand that homeowners likely do not want to deal with all of that in their busy lives, which is why we offer free drone inspections. A free drone inspection with us includes an FAA-certified drone pilot flying a drone over the homeowner’s roof and gathering pictures and information about the roof. These pictures detect damage for the homeowner and allow the homeowner to become informed on the state of their roof. Then, one of our excellent roofing specialists will explain all the damage to the homeowner, answer any questions, and help guide the homeowner through the next steps if there is damage, such as getting homeowner’s insurance to pay for the roof! If you believe your roof may have damage and possibly may need replacing book your free drone inspection with us today!