Green roofs or living roofs are made up of soil and plants…almost like creating a garden on your roof. Here I will tell you the pro and cons of having a green roof.Let’s start with the pros…
- Green roofs have excellent insulation! The plants are a perfect insulation that will keep your home cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The plants absorb all the uv rays from the sun and blocks cold winds.
- Definitely eco friendly!
- Money saving on your electric bill.
- Unique curb appeal…you can definitely wow your neighbors!
Like all roofs there are some cons to a green roof…
- The price to do a green roof can cost two to three times as much as a normal roof. You must add extra structural support to hold to extra weight, because green roofs are heavy.
- Green roofs can not be do on sloped roofs. They are done on roofs with minimal slop age of flat roofs.
- Due to the roots of the plants possible penetrating the waterproofing on your roof you are more succeptable to getting leaks and other damage to your home.
- You must keep up the maintenance of the roof just like a garden so you need a lot of time.